Final piece pt 2
The strongest idea had so far was for a large canvas with three triangles of red, yellow and blue so I saw this as a choice of what to make first. as can be seen in the picture on the left I taped up the relevant areas using my waterproof masking tape. I had carefully measured and marked out my canvas as to exactly where I wanted the painted sections to be and theses where generally at half way points around the canvas edges or the same length as a future canvas was going to be.
When I was making my earlier experiments I realised that it was very hard to consistently make up a watery acrylic mix in exactly the same hue each time. To overcome this I decided to make up a large quantity of paint first of all and store it inside three separate jam jars, one for each of the primary colours.
Pictured on the right is my mix of cadmium red acrylic.
During my earlier experiments I also discovered just how much colour shift there was between the recently applied paint and the final dried outcome. This was not down to my choice of acrylic paint as when used in their intended straight from the tube consistency there is virtually no colour shirt between the wet and dry. The colour shift I was experiencing was down the sheer volume of water I was using and as the water evaporated all that was left was the actually pigments of the paint.
On the left is the completed painting. I was really pleased with how it turned out and all the lines are perfectly straight and true with zero seepage of paint.
I now set about creating a small blue circle onto a small square canvas to go with this larger work. In order to produce as accurate a circle as possible I had to do some thinking. There was no way I would be able to use the masking tape to produce a perfect circle so that was out of the question. I very much doubted that I would also be able to paint one freehand. My best option was to draw around a perfectly round object and use this as a guide for where to place my paint.
I found a plate that was exactly the right size I needed so placed it on the canvas and drew around it using a blue pencil. I took care not to push down too hard on the pencil as I really only wanted a guideline but I thought that the waxy qualities of the pencil would also help repel the paint from areas of the canvas I did not want to cover.
The finished circle is pictured to the right and it has come out really well. There is a hint of a darkness around the edge of the circle where the pencil is slightly different in tone to the paint but this does not detract too much from the finished piece. The technique I am using is not a widely used method within fine art practice so I am continuously refining and improve my methods.