Now that I have decided to produce a diptych of paintings based around the original orange painting I felt I needed to make some experiments to determine exactly how many marks should be made along the length of each canvas. When I was analysing the previous experiments I came to the conclusion that the volume of marks along the width of the painting was crucial in determining exactly how the painting would work in the display space. Too many marks meant the painting would look too much like a tower block and this was not what I wanted. Too few meant it may look a bit clunky and unwieldy.
Knowing that my bars were going to be 75cm across I decided to cut out some cardboard and wood in 75cm lengths so that I could make some marks on it to experiment with the size and amount of marks I was going to use.
The photo above shows the second experiment.
The first experiment was not effective as I simply tried lots of different marks rather than complete rows so I could not make any evaluation as to the effectiveness of any of them. For this second attempt I wanted to pull all the marks fully across the width of the cardboard so I could accurately judge what they may look like on the final painting.
The image above shows that I took the cardboard out into the corridor as it was important to be able to see these marks in a much more open setting than the studio spaces. I also wanted to be able to get back far so I could imagine how these marks would look on two large canvases placed next to each other. From looking at this experiment I decided that I needed about 10 marks across the panel as i felt this would look most intereting uo close and at a distance. This would also enable me to get lots of different grey tones together as well as the odd tone that was closer to red, yellow or blue.