After applying the lower sprayed layers I then set about painting the grey marks. I had hoped to make 10 marks across the width of each canvas but I could not find a palette knife of the correct size to make this possible. Eventually I found one that would enable 9 marks across the width. This seemed like a good amount to enable the painting to work well in both viewing spaces.
This is the result of the first day of painting the first panel. I was pleased with the results but used up much more paint than I anticipated as I was applying it really thick to get it to sit up from the canvases and add texture. As the marks came towards the bottom of the canvas I started to make them more random and scrapped the ends to get a variated effect that suggested movement.